Monday, May 24, 2010

TMY-2 and GSD-10

Juliet at Celebration Park

I still grin from ear to ear every time I develop a roll of TMY-2; what a feat of engineering! TMY-2 is, as the package reminds us, the sharpest 400 speed film in the world, and its grain is as fine as many 100 speed films. GSD-10 was formulated with slow, quick-to-build-contrast, fine grained films in mind. The compensating effect of GSD-10 and stand development really tames these films, opening up shadows, and protecting delicate highlight detail, but it's the midtones that matter most to me. The micro contrast produced by this film/developer combination is quite impressive. I'll be experimenting with this combination a lot, and sharing my findings here. Here's the developing information for the above photo:

Film: TMY-2
Format: 120 (6x7)
EI: 400
Developer: GSD-10
Dilution: 1:7.5
Time: 20 min
Temp: 70F
Agitation: 1 minute initial, 10 seconds at 1/2 way point

The light was very flat (SBR 5.5)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The photo looks great. I am going to have to give TMY-2 a try. I had always shied away from it beoause people seemed to have problems with loosing the highlights. It seems that you are not having that problem with the developers you use. With the 400 film offerings thinning out in 4x5 this looks like a good combination to try.

jdef said...

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the compliment. I think a person could get into trouble treating TMY-2 like a film that shoulders, because it doesn't. Over development will certainly produce excess contrast, but along with linearity comes predictability, and once one determines the appropriate development for exposure conditions, everything falls into place. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to give it a try.